At Blueshoon, there is an occasional debate regarding form versus function. It’s an age-old argument that marketers, website designers, and web developers love to have (and with no right answer, can continue to have). However, every once in awhile, there is a website that everyone can agree on! It has great design, is built robustly, and makes things simple for the user. This week’s Wednesday Website We Love is just that, smallpdf.com.
Smallpdf was built to solve a very clear problem, or a variety of problems revolving around one file type, the notorious pdf software. Commonly misunderstood and generally misused, the pdf is one of the most utilized file formats in business. The team behind smallpdf set out to make the pdf simpler to use. In the process of simplifying pdf’s they created one of the 5000 most visited websites on the internet.
This cloud-based software (that’s right, you don’t have to install anything!) has 4.3 million unique visitors per month. We’re really curious what their CPU utilization must be, Skynet would be jealous.Target could have used their infrastructure expertise to not look like total boneheads during the #LillyforTarget crash.
Here are our top 5 ways to use smallpdf:
- Can’t email a pdf file because it’s too big? Compress it!
- Need to send a proposal that consists of multiple pdf’s? Combine them!
- Did someone send you a document that needs to be edited? Convert it back to word!
- Do you need to complete a mail merge and the contacts list is in a pdf? Convert it into excel!
- Need to pull pieces from a pdf to use in future projects? Split the original pdf into multiple pdf’s!
I’m sure you can see where we’re going with this… Go to the website and bookmark it. We’ll bet you a coffee that you’ll be make use of the website in the next month. And while you’re there, check out a website design that doesn’t complicate things.