If you’re creating a new website from scratch or revamping an existing site, you’re probably chock full of ideas for what would make your website perfect. The real challenge, however, is protecting yourself from “project creep,” the disease that plagues even the most well-intentioned of developers and makes finishing your project extend to take 10 times longer than you’d originally planned, and perhaps not worth your original web design rates.
Here are some of the telltale symptoms of project creep to help you identify whether you’ve been afflicted:
- Each month, your self-imposed project deadline extends “just until ___ is finished.”
- You’ve created a website, but can’t stop yourself from adding more functionalities so that it never quite feels complete.
- Submitting your request for proposal to a web design company was the first time you ever seriously thought about what kind of website you want.
- Your web design bill is slowly rising far beyond what you initially anticipated your costs to be.
Any of these symptoms sound familiar? You just might be the most recent victim of project creep. But don’t fret. While the disease can make your project take forever to complete, it isn’t fatal. In fact, there are a few ways to combat the virus so you end up with a shiny new website by your deadline that fits with your planned budget.
Fight off that Creep
Try a hefty dose of some of our recommended strategies for fighting off project creep:
- Plan your website before submitting your request for proposal. Web design rates are often based on approximations of how much time a project will take for completion. Knowing exactly what functionalities you want and which ones you won’t need makes for a clear-cut project that your developer can finish in time for your deadline and not need to charge extra.
- Use WordPress or another content management system (CMS). This allows users to create their own sites using tutorials, templates and pre-existing designs. Sure, you won’t have the thrill of operating your own custom developed site from scratch, but it’s infinitely better to have a website on a content management platform than none at all. These platforms allow for easy additions to your website and customizable designs.
- Keep your eye on the prize. If you’re ready to get into the swing of your business or personal site, putting off the site’s completion is just holding you back. At the end of the day, almost any site is better than no site.
- Utilize the services of a killer web design team that understands how to make your dreams become a reality. With white label development, website management, custom programming and an on-demand tech team, you can’t go wrong when you call on the help of the pros.
Remember that any project, whether personal or professional, can fall victim to project creep. We’re here to help you fight the virus and build a strapping young website that meets all your needs and fits with your budget with competitive web design rates. Contact us if you’ve been bitten by the bug and we’ll get your project going in no time.